Check back often for the latest updates on news and information about upcoming squadron activities
Staff and cadets from 608's Minecraft Club have recreated the Belleville Armouries. Check it out in this video below!
CONSTRUCTION DATE(S)1907/01/01 to 1908/01/01
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
The Armoury faces a major commercial street in the historic core of Belleville’s town centre. It is a large, gambrel-roofed, stone and brick building. A pair of tall towers flanking a large troop door, distinguish the main entrance. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Armoury is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value.
The Armoury is closely associated with the reform and expansion of the Canadian militia. As Minister of Militia and Defence from 1906 to 1911, Frederick Borden initiated a program of construction of new armouries and drill halls across Canada. The armoury is also associated with the Hastings and Prince Edward County Regiment, known for its numerous battle honours.
The Armoury is a very good example of the aesthetic expression typical of T.W. Fuller’s standard armoury design. The structure is evocative of a medieval fortress as evidenced in the solid brick construction, stone detailing and the use of three-storey towers flanking the entrance of the administrative block. The very good functional design is clearly articulated in the unobstructed interior of the large gambrel-roofed drill hall, achieved through the use of Fink trusses. The rich detailing and rough-cut stone window dressings, demonstrate the building’s very good craftsmanship.
The Armoury reinforces the present character of its commercial street setting in the historic core of Belleville, and is a well-known landmark.
Jacqueline Adell, Armoury, Belleville, Ontario, Federal Heritage Building Review Office Building Report 91-185; Armoury, Belleville, Ontario Heritage Character Statement, 91-185.
The character-defining elements of the Armoury should be respected.
Its aesthetic, functional design and quality materials and craftsmanship, for example:
- its standard plan consisting of a gambrel-roofed drill hall and entry block as well as a gun shed;
- its medieval fortress motif expressed in the symmetrically organized façade, the towers flanking the central entrance, the narrow vertical window openings, and its medieval detailing such as the stringcourses, copings and battlements;
- the rough cut stone and the red brick walls;
- the large, interior drill hall space with its Fink trusses, full-length viewing gallery, large round-headed windows and large end doors.
The manner in which the Armoury reinforces the present character of its commercial street setting in the historic core of Belleville and is a well-known landmark, as evidenced by:
- its aesthetic, scale and materials which complement other large structures such as City Hall and Market Square in the town centre;
- its visibility vis-à-vis its imposing scale as well as its recognition and use for activities by a community with a commitment to its militia.